Ten positive affirmations for singers
According to the Webster’s dictionary, the word “affirmation” means:
- The act or an instance of affirming; state of being affirmed.
- The assertion that something exists or is true.
- Something that is affirmed; a statement or proposition that is declared to be true.
Affirmations come into play with the subconscious mind. As singers, we really want to “train” our minds to think true thoughts about ourselves and what we do as singers and our place in this world. It’s so very important to affirm your talent, to believe in your talent, to love your talent, to share your talent and to do so without fear or worry of being rejected. Affirmations help to affirm in your mind what you wish to see in your own voice, and thus within your own experience. Singers have been trained with the mindset for so long that their ability, their opportunity, their success- it comes from the outside world and from people, places, arts organizations, etc. No, it does not. Your opportunity does not come from other people, or other opinions on what those people think of you or how you are perceived. People do not give you a job. Opportunity lies within you and YOU alone. Affirmations bring this to the subconscious mind-we need to retrain that mind to think positively and not from a negative, zero power standpoint. Think of your mind as being divided into three compartments. According to the book “The Game of Life and How To Play It” by Florence Scovel Shinn, she says that our mind is divided into three areas- subconscious, conscious and superconscious. Whatever you feel deep inside is what is imaged forth in your subconscious mind and is therefore expressed into your outward, living experience. In my forthcoming membership site at Skokstudio.org, I am going to be having a Confidence/ Meditation series that I am building out for singers. Here is just a taste of ten simple affirmations that you can do daily. I do this hourly. Look into a mirror and say out loud at your reflection:
- I am a wonderful being who possesses a unique voice.
- My voice is beautiful in every way.
- My voice has always been wonderful-it’s been fun to work on my vocal journey.
- I love myself and the sounds that I am making for the world.
- My voice is unique to myself. I am the only one in the whole world that can make the sounds that I make.
- I rely only on my own journey to make me happy.
- I make myself happy and successful with my voice.
- I am able to understand how my voice works in every aspect.
- My voice is pleasing not only to myself but to the world.
- I am gainfully employed singing!
Say these affirming truths to yourself many times a day. If they seem like lies, that’s OK. Say them anyway. Eventually, you will believe them. You are such an incredible vocal creation!
Sending you my love,